Friends of Fox Creek held its annual meeting on March 7th, 2013, at El Tapatio Restaurant in Rainier. About 30 people attended, and all enjoyed a brief review of the year’s activities, some pleasant conversation, the annual election of two directors and some fine Mexican food.
The highlight of the evening was the program presented by Kerry Tymchuk, executive director of the Oregon Historical Society, who brought a suitcase full of artifacts from the Society’s museum in Portland. Mr. Tymchuk told the story behind each artifact, and passed around ones that could be safely handled, including Lewis & Clark’s branding iron (retrieved from the Columbia River!) and a chunk of the Willamette Meteorite. Mr Tymchuk was introduced by Andrew Demko, history teacher and advisor to the History Club at Rainier Junior/Senior High School.
Pursuant to the history theme this year, one of FFC’s projects for 2013 is installation of a sign near the creek commemorating the founding of Rainier by Charles e. Fox in 1851. Andrew Demko and the History Club have been spark plugs for this project.
In the election of Directors the recommendations of the Nominating Committee (Sally Bledsoe, Brandy McGladrey and Saundra Morris) were accepted unanimously: Amy Poulos was re-elected to a three-year term, and JoAnne Booth rejoined the Board for a three-year term after a hiatus of several years. Board officers will be elected by the Directors at a subsequent meeting.
President Bob Burnham honored Michal Kelly Miller for her years of service as a Director on the Board, and specifically, as FFC Treasurer.