Friends of Fox Creek received a grant of $1,400 last August from the Columbia County Cultural Coalition to design and fabricate a historical sign about Charles E. Fox, the founder of Rainier in 1851. Fox Creek was named for this pioneer settler. A committee has been working steadily to research the biography of Fox and to design the layout of the sign, which will be two feet by three feet in size, rendered on high-pressure laminate and mounted on a steel frame to be placed near the A Street bridge in Rainier.
An equal partner with FFC on the sign project has been the Rainier Junior/Senior High School History Club, advised by Social Studies teacher Andrew Demko, who first conceived the idea of the sign acknowledging Fox. The History Club, which has won national awards, produces an annual re-enactment of events of 1853 in Rainier at the Beaver Homes Grange. (This year’s event is April 13th.) The sign project has also received the full cooperation of the Rainier School District, the City of Rainier and Rainier Masonic Lodge #24; the latter supplied the portrait of Charles Fox for the sign.
The grant received by FFC is part of a distribution of lottery dollars to county cultural coalitions by the Oregon Cultural Trust for use by nonprofit organizations sponsoring cultural events and projects.
An unveiling ceremony in Riverfront Park for the completed sign is expected to take place in May or June of this year.