Speakers at the Charles E. Fox sign ceremony on Saturday, October 19, in Rainier Riverfront Park are shown here lifting the veil from the newly-installed sign about the city’s 1851 founder.
At left, in period dress, is Andrew Demko, social studies teacher and advisor to the Rainier Jr/Sr High School History Club, whose members also came in 1850s garb. Demko conceived the idea for the sign two years ago and worked with Friends of Fox Creek and the City of Rainier to bring it to fruition.
Other speakers at the noon event were ASB President Tiffany Fletcher, Rainier City Councilor and high school teacher David Sills, Friends of Fox Creek board member Darrel Whipple, State Rep. Brad Witt, Rainier Masonic Lodge officer Dearl Taylor, whose group provided the portrait of Charles Fox for the sign, and Larry Cole, Chairman of the Columbia County Cultural Coalition Board, which awarded a grant to Friends of Fox Creek to fund the sign project through the Oregon Cultural Trust’s sale of “culture” license plates and from tax-credit donations by individual taxpayers.
Also attending, with his family, was Scappoose resident Mike Wilson, who is a relative of Charles Fox. [Photo by Kathy Byrd]
The historical sign about Charles E. Fox, who founded Rainier in 1851, will be unveiled at a public ceremony at noon on Saturday, October 19th, near the A Street bridge in Rainier’s Riverfront Park.
Research and planning for the sign has been a collaboration of various groups and individuals in cooperation with the City of Rainier. Funding for production of the sign came from a grant from the Columbia County Cultural Coalition using allotted funds from the Oregon Cultural Trust. The sign is two feet by three feet in size, rendered on high-pressure laminate, and was manufactured by Interpretive Graphics of Salt Lake City.
Partnering with FFC on the sign project has been the Rainier Junior/Senior High School History Club, advised by Social Studies teacher Andrew Demko, who first conceived the idea of the sign acknowledging Fox. The History Club, which has won national awards, produces an annual re-enactment of events of 1853 in Rainier at the Beaver Homes Grange.
The sign project has also received the full cooperation of the Rainier School District, the City of Rainier and Rainier Masonic Lodge #24; the latter supplied the portrait of Charles Fox for the sign. Bell Studios supplied a digital file of the portrait for the sign maker. The image on the sign of the town plat filed by Fox at the County Courthouse in 1855 was produced by local artist Dee Vadnais.